Whether it is brand spanking new or crumpled up in the back of your dad's closet, retro fashion is still hot. Here are some tips on what to get if you want to look like a classic hipster:
1. The Old Bowling Shirt - Did this one ever really go out of style? Well, yes, but only for a little while. The classic bowling shirt is a rare retro find that will have you looking for a strike in no time. Look for bowling shirts with team names still embroidered on them or classic designs on the back.
2. Funky Shoes - Retro shoes that look like they were stolen off of a bandleader's feet are still very hot. Look for classic saddle shoes or spectators. The best material is of course alligator if you really want that retro feel. When worse comes to worse, an old pair of bowling shoes will still work.
3. Ringneck Tees - These are still old standards in any retro closet. Ringneck tees, whether they are long sleeve or short, are a quick way to feel retro the minute you slip them on. Look for tees with a little wear on them if you are going for that true vintage look.
4. The Hawaiian Shirt - If you're looking for an old Hawaiian shirt, remember, louder is better. Look for bright and bold prints that scream "I'm retro!" You can really have a lot of fun with these.
5. Chains and Jewelry - This was the era of the fraternity pins, class rings and awesome chains. Look for unique pieces of jewelry that will complete your whole retro look.
6. Classic Denim - Jeans were just starting to take off during this period and they were made so well, chances are they'll still be good for plenty of years to come. The designs of this time period were simple, but the workmanship and pocket details will still stand the test of time.
7. Wide Ties - The 50's were the era of the really wide tie. Look for some classic models with 50's prints but don't go overboard. If you don't want to go quite that retro, skinny ties were all the rage in the 60's and may work better with modern shirts.
8. Work Shirts - Even if your name isn't Bob and you never worked at a gas station, these work shirts can go to work for you. Nothing says retro quite like someone else's old work shirt.
9. Old Forgotten Brands - The best shirts are the ones that advertise for company's that have long been extinct. Look for strange shirts with even stranger slogans on them. This will give you a truly retro look and feel. Classic tshirts for retro brands are still very hip. Look for an old Coca-Cola tee or even shirts for bands back in the day. The crazier the better with these shirts.
10. Don't forget your hair - If you really want to go retro, don't forget to include your head. Study classic styles from the 50's and go to an old fashioned barber. You'll look like you just stepped out of a time capsule.